Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Long Day

Today is my first day back at my weekday job since before Christmas. Today is a punishing day. Not because I hate my job, but just because there's not much to do. I have stuff planned after 2:30PM, but for now I'm stuck here waiting for something and with nothing else to do, so I decided I'd write something.
One big theme at my job is personal development. Being all you can be, being a 'tall poppy' and being proud of it etc. It all seems a bit wanky but I also think it's been very helpful. It's nice to be an environment where people are encouraged to do their best and be happy (because half the people I meet in my own life seem to be committed to the art of not being happy). The '21 Suggestions for Success' is framed on a wall in the office and I've always felt that it speaks the truth. The full list can be found here.

The list gives a great summary of the kind of character traits that I think are important. A lot is already traits I try to have (being honest, loyal, caring, committed to self improvement, try and treat people how I'd like to be treated etc.) but I think it's also put ideas in my head that are helping me improve as a person. I used to find I could be quite indecisive a lot of the time, but now I just think to myself "be decisive, even if means you'll be wrong sometimes" and I make my choice.

No comments: