Friday, May 8, 2009

America pt10

LA is pretty scummy really. I think I've realised after the last couple of days that there's not much reason to ever come back to LA as far as tourist places go. After spending 4 days in New York spending any amount of time in LA just feels stupid. The last couple of days have been alright, but it's certainly not the most interesting place in the world.

Yesterday morning we all slept in and then headed down the highway to Pasadena so I could go to a vegan shoe store to get some business shoes for work when I return to Australia. I left with 2 pairs of faux leather shoes and a faux leather belt. Good life. That'll keep me sorted for ages. Lots of good views of the mountains on the way out to Pasadena too.

The ladies at the store brought a vegan thai restaurant around the corner to our attention and we headed down there for lunch. Sean got this realluy greasy sub from dominos (yeah subs from pizza places... crazy haha) and Grant and I hit the vegan food. I got faux chicken chow mein, Grant got a burger (the restaurant had some western vegan food too it seems) and then we headed back towards the city to go to Santa Monica beach.

Santa Monica beach is rad. It was such a fine 'summer' day (well it's technically spring here but it feels like summer), the water was nice and cool and LA actually seems like a really nice place when you're walking along a cool beach. The Santa Monica pier is pretty cool too. (Except the ground being soooo fucking hot that Sean and I had to go and buy thongs so we didn't get burnt haha). There's a rad little arcade on the pier and while we didn't ride any of the rides, it makes for a good view.

We walked a couple of blocks from the beach to the Santa Monica plaza to do some shopping. The mall there feels like a decent Cavill Ave haha. Sean got a North Face jacket, Grant got some shoes and I got a faux leather jacket (seems like it was 'leather' day for me). We then walked back to the car and drove further down the beach to get a different look at what was going on. The venice beach pier is nowhere near as exciting (it's just a pier... no rides, stores or other cool shit), but we stood around for a bit, watched some dudes surfing and talked some shit.

After heading back to the hotel for a bit Sean dropped me at hollywood to go and see Jonah Matranga play. I found out the show was 21+ when I got there and I was worried I wouldn't get in, luckily I didn't get IDed and all was good. I watched another acoustic dude play a short set before Jonah and while I can't remember his name, he was pretty good.

Jonah rocked my world. He played a collection of new solo stuff, a couple of Newendoriginal songs and some of his older solo songs from his onelinedrawing project. It was rad. He seems like such a cool dude. I talked to him a bit before the show and he said he'd play aeroplanes for me but then he didn't get time to play it so he played it for a me and a few other people in the carpark next to the venue just after the show. What a rad dude! I picked up like $40US worth of Jonah music off him that I never bought in the past and then I met up with Sean and Grono and we bailed.

This morning Sean was meant to go to Boston to see Mind Eraser so we all got up early and dropped him off at LAX before arriving home to realise Sean had left his phone in the car. Fuck. I messaged the girl he was meant to meet in Boston about it and sent him mine and her phone numbers on the internet but shit still went wrong, trying to organise his phone stuff Sean managed to miss his flight to Boston. Fuck. Next flight would get him in too late for the show. Fuck. Such a shitty situation. When he called me and told me he just missed his flight and he'd be flying back to LA this afternoon (at his own expense) I was so bummed. Shit sucked.

Grant and I went for a walk around LA today. we found a cool place to get some cheap bakery goods for breakfast, some of it was alright, other stuff was kinda crap. Oh well. We walked down to Little Tokyo only to realise it sucks. We found a little Japanese Garden that I think was actually a hotel's private garden. Oops. Got Gelato in this little Asian mall and then headed back to the room to hang out for a bit before we went to get Sean from the Airport. I read some of Burning Fight and Grant just hung out.

After Sean was back in the land of the living we went and got pizza for dinner and to hopefully cheer up our weary friend. We were maybe going to go to the movies tonight but decided to stay home and just hang out. So we've been watching American TV and lurking the internet for most of the night.

We're leaving downtown LA to stay in Anaheim for a couple of nights before we go home. We're going to San Diego for a show tomorrow night. It should be alright.

No comments: