Friday, May 15, 2009

last US diary entry

here's the last US diary entry that I did before we came home...

I had no net at the airport because I couldn’t be fucked paying $12 for it, so here’s the recap of our last 2 days in America:

It’s all over. I’m currently sitting at the airport at 9PM on Sunday night listening to ‘Indictment’ by Jawbreaker over and over. We board our flight home in a couple of hours and at 6AM tomorrow morning I’ll be at home on Australian soil.

We spent most of today at Knot’s Berry Farm, a themepark about 10 minutes down the road from Disneyland. We were originally going to go to Six Flags today because they had a $25US entry deal but we didn’t realise it was actually 100km away form where we were staying, so we bailed and hit up Knot’s Berry Park instead. It’s not s grand as Six Fags Magic Mountain, but it was pretty cool nonetheless. They have like 8 or 9 thrill rides, some like rides back home and others that aren’t There’s a magnetic roller coaster (ala Tower of Terror), a freefall ride (ala the Giant Drop), a hanging roller coaster (ala the Lethal Weapon) and also rides similar, but still with subtle differences to the Claw and the Wipeout at Dreamworld. Taking the Dreamworld comparisons even further, you can kind of see where Dreamworld takes a lot of it’s influence from by looking around at Knot’s Berry Farm. Ever wondered why Dreamworld has that weird goldrush vibe to some of the park? Yeah, they stole it from Knot’s Berry Farm haha.

Yesterday was a bit of a lazy day. We got up early to a bit of a disappointing breakfast of donuts and danishes (it seems that qualifies as a free breakfast in America) and then decided to sleep for a bit longer before heading out to Huntington Beach. We hit up a record store before heading to the beach and another one after so dudes could be vinyl nerds. I got Born in the USA and some Tom Petty live double LP and some zines and Sean bought like 793r82447747437534567 records as usual.

Huntington Beach was kind of boring to be honest. It was just a beach and the weather was overcast, not really beach weather. It was made a bit interesting by some intelligence contest where they were giving out free money that turned out to be religious propaganda (who else can afford to give away money?), some English punker called us ‘fags’ (which I don’t even understand? We were all just wearing jeans and tshirts). He was with who I perceived to be his girlfriend too, what a sick dude.

Saturday night’s Burning Fight show was at Pomona, a nice area outside of LA. Their was a cool antique lane with all these antique stores down the street from the venue and a cool little market with a band playing across the road from the venue. Lots of little art galleries open around there too which I regrettably didn’t check out. I got Thai some cool Thai fried rice while the second band was playing too. Pomona rules. So much cleaner than LA.
The start of the show was overcome with merchandise. Indecision records did a limited pressing of the Undertow discography CD ‘Everything’ on double LP and a triple LP Unbroken discography (complete with Smiths quote on the cover haha) just for this show and kids went mad for it. Biggest merch line I have ever seen in my life. I wanted to get another Unbroken Morrissey shirt at this show (I got a white one at Burning Fight Chicago and I kind of wanted a black one too) but the black ones sold out in small so I just got a baby blue one and a black one in large for a friend. Decent life.

The first band to play was Festival of Dead Deer. I didn’t like them at all haha. I’ve never been a massive fan of (real) ‘screamo’kind of stuff and that is what this reminded me of. I walked out and hung out outside after a few songs.

Threadbare were on next but as I’d seen them the weekend before and didn’t know a single song then and still don’t know a single song now I decided to skip it in favoured of the aforementioned Thai dinner.

I wasn’t too enthused by Portraits of Past either, not really my thing.

Undertow, Swing Kids and Unbroken were rad, but I can't really be fucked recapping any of it now haha. night.

No comments: