Thursday, September 18, 2008

Give Blood Zine RIP


I guess I've been sitting on this one for a while, I was originally planning to announce this in the next issue of Sick of Goodbyes, but since I don't know when that will be either, I thought maybe I should say it while it's still fresh. Give Blood Zine is over.

After a couple of years, 3 big issues that I was proud of and a lot of generally good times, circumstances in my life have left me in a position where I can't really continue. I guess it's kind of funny, I spend 2 years having a love/hate relationship with the zine, contemplating throwning in the towel after every issue because I thought no one cared or that the work was a waste of time and money but now that it's over, it feels like I lost something I didn't really want to let go. I may do a more in depth post in the near future about the reasons why the zine is over but I don't know. Anyone who read the second issue of Sick of Goodbyes could probably take a guess at the reason why.

I would have really loved to do a final issue and originally, that was what I was hoping to do, but I guess as time went on I realised I probably wouldn't be able to pull something off like GB#2 or 3, I was really proud of those zines and I guess I don't want to do them an injustice by releasing something I didn't really care for.

Doing this zine gave me so much and I guess it's a pity to see that ending. I have friends in Brisbane hardcore, friends interstates, friends in bands and running labels and places to stay a lot of places in Australia mainly because of doing this zine so I guess I owe it a lot. There's a lot of people to thank for their support over the time this zine ran but I think that can wait for another day. I hope to do a fairly comprehensive list in SOG#3

As I mentioned earlier, I still plan on doing another issue of Sick of Goodbyes because I have some loose ends to tie up, a couple more bands I want to interview and some final things to say, but I'd say it's doubtful that it will continue past the third issue.

I guess nothing gold can stay.

Chris