Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sprinting with Purpose

It’s rare that I take the time to stop and recharge my batteries. Everything is always go, go, go. I hate my lifestyle some days, but other days it all falls into place and there’s nothing that puts a bigger smile on my face than knowing that I’m doing something.

My life is late nights crashing into early mornings, fighting the alarm and already formulating my excuses for the start of the day as I jump into the shower. “I’ll go to bed earlier tomorrow night.” Rushing through breakfast as I pack my bag. Hurriedly fixing my hair and ironing my shirt before I sprint out the door, wondering if I took lady luck’s fancy today and she’ll deliver me to my destination on the good side of the hour. Everyday I’m forced to interact with people, to learn and to earn. Often there’s barely enough time to go around but it instills me with a purpose and a strange manifesto: “Money is freedom, knowledge is power and sleep is the enemy.”

I like my life because I’ve been forced to live a lot more now than I used to. You can spend so much time theorising but you learn so much more in practice. Every victory, every failure, every argument, every apology, every discussion, every new situation and every new idea, all offer something not available in the theoretical world: real emotion.

I look at myself today and I feel like the best person I’ve ever been. More comfortable but also more open to change, more powerful but also more fragile, more decisive but also more flexible, more commanding but also more understanding.

Some days I feel a restlessness whose strength I have not felt in my whole life sweep through my entire body. I struggle to explain it but I think it stems from the fact that I expect so much more from life now than I ever have before: I’m no longer content with a day just being another day.

No comments: