Sunday, May 8, 2011

I, Robot

Sometimes I don't even feel like myself. I feel like this robot subject in some gargantuan social experiment for my brain to go home and analyse. My thoughts, my actions, my emotional reactions, all just another set of data to be analysed and added to the pool of knowledge. I'm a robot that interacts with the world through a set of laws that are updated regularly based on the conclusions of in-house social analysis. Constant tweaks and the occasional rushed emergency repair when the laws lead me astray and it all starts to go flying sideways. The official response is that the feeling lost and the freakouts and the moodswings are just bugs in the code. 'They'll be ironed out in the next revision.' It seems longterm happiness is a bit harder to create though: 'Some kind of longterm happiness? You'll have to wait a while for that one. That's still a couple of horizons away. We don't have all the answers we're looking for yet. Hell, buddy, I'm sorry to say it, but we may never.'

No comments: