Sunday, May 29, 2011

I've Changed My Plea to Guilty

After much reflection, I've come to realise that any peace I have previously claimed to have with self-centredness was wrong. There was a time where I said (and obviously believed) things to the effect of 'people are selfish in nature, so you either accept that and live inside of it, or you accept the issues involved.'

Now that I've had more time to look at how 'looking out for #1' has affected my own life, I've come to the conclusion that my words were immature and ill thought out. A stain on what I think is normally a very fair and just view of human interaction in this world. (conceited hey?) I still believe that looking out for one's self first has it's place in certain fringe situations (that I may be inclined to explore at another date) but I think in the majority of situations, a compromise that mutually benefits all parties involved is the preferred outcome. I do not believe it is safe to preach or condone a self-centered worldview because a selfish need to 'win' at the expense of all others, is generally not a healthy longterm outcome. Even more so when it can be interpreted as the belief that one can do whatever they want, without the need to consider how their actions will affect other people.

I refuse to believe any longer, that our 'command and conquer' nature is an excuse to step on others to get to what we want. As much as we can continue to try and hide behind the fact that we're 'just animals', I'm not going to fall for it. Empathy is an innate part of the human condition that exists inside everyone (that isn't a sociopath). To ignore it, and marginalise the discourse of those whose faces end up underneath our boots, is to deny what makes us human. I refuse to accept that selfishness is a valid response to the world we live in.

'Be the change you want to see in the world.', Gandhi

'Since I replaced the I in live with an o, I can't remember who you are.', Thursday Tomorrow I'll Be You

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good post! Welcome to the view from adulthood :)

Unknown said...

More specifically the quotes at the end...

An old church man said to me today "anyone who takes and takes and takes but never gives is not worth tuppence"

GB said...

old man knows what's up!